District 8 Governor's Council
District 8 (including Berkshire and Franklin counties, and portions of Hampden, Hampshire, and Worcester counties)
There are three candidates in the Democratic primary for an open seat:
Michael Albano: Campaign Website: http://www.mikegovcouncil.com/
Gerry Roy: Campaign Website: http://gerryroy.com/
Kevin Sullivan: Campaign Website: http://kevinsullivan2012.com/
I seek the office of Governor's Council believing the position can make a difference in development of public policy through the confirmation process of nominees by the Governor. In that regard, political philosophy is critical.
Make no mistake, I am a Kennedy liberal and proud of it. My record, is defined by positions taken in my official capacities. All of these positions can be viewed on Facebook.com/mikegovcouncil or mikegovcouncil.com
(1) I was one of the first elected officials in Massachusetts to publically to endorse marriage equity; and, was the lead litigant in the suit filed against the Attorney General; (2) I stand in total support of Affirmative Action and created the most diverse workforce in the City of Springfield history, including appointing the first woman Chief of Police and the first liaison to the gay community;
(3) I support a woman's right to choose and testified before the Legislature to create a buffer zone to reproductive clinics; (4) I stand adamantly against the death penalty and have "shown the faces" of innocent men who would have been executed in my work as a Member of the Governor's Advisory Board of Pardons;
(5) I have worked with Senator Kennedy to establish health care clinics in Springfield. (6) I support a ban on assault weapons and testified with Attorney General Scott Harshbarger and Senator Jacques on such legislation.
I have been endorsed by the Massachusetts AFL-CIO, the Pioneer Valley AFL-CIO, the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, Local 364 and the International Association of Firefighters, Local 2647
As a father, husband, and active member of my community, I care about the issues that confront us – locally, regionally, and statewide. The legal system can be – and should be – not just a means of resolving disputes and punishing criminals, but also of improving our communities and our Commonwealth.
I believe in:
- Worker’s Rights & Collective Bargaining
- Marriage Equality
- Reproductive Rights
- Equal Pay for Equal Work
- Single-Payer Healthcare
- Anti-Discrimination Laws
- Environmental Protection
- Fair Tax Policy
An attorney and member of the Westfield School Committee, I stand my ground for what’s right, but can compromise to get things done. I will bring this approach to the Governor’s Council.
I have handled family law, housing and real estate, criminal, civil, and public interest cases, and this experience will inform my service on the Governor’s Council. I’m the only attorney in the race; my knowledge of the court system will make me an effective Councilor.
- Governor’s Councilor Tom Merrigan
- Hampden DA Mark Mastroianni
- Northwest DA David Sullivan
- Sheriffs Mike Ashe, Tom Bowler, Chris Donelan
- Franklin Register of Probate John Merrigan
- Hampden Register of Probate Tom Moriarty
- Senators Gale Candaras, Ben Downing, Stan Rosenberg
- Representatives Sean Curran, Peter Kocot, Stephen Kulik, Paul Mark, Smitty Pignatelli, John Scibak, Ellen Story
- North Adams Mayor Richard Alcombright
- Northampton Mayor David Narkewicz
- Berkshire Brigades Chair Lee Harrison
I would be honored to have the support of The Progressive Democrats of Massachusetts.